» Public Safety
» Home Safety
- Unload and secure all firearms especially if children reside in the home. Store ammunition separately.
- Use exterior motion detecting lighting around your house.
- Maintain shrubs and other plants to limit hiding places around your residence.
- Lock all exterior doors with quality tamperproof locks. Keep windows locked and secured and never leave keys under mats, in mailboxes or other places they can be discovered by criminals.
- Install a residential alarm system that includes smoke and CO2 alarms. Maintain these systems and instruct all family members how to operate them.
- When vacationing stop mail and newspaper service. Contact the police department for a vacant property check report. Let a trusted neighbor know when you’re leaving and returning.
- Call your police department to evaluate the security of your home.