» Public Safety
» Gun Safety
First and foremost all guns should be treated as loaded and operable. There is no such thing as accidental discharge if this golden rule is followed. Here are some things to consider as a gun owner.
- All firearms should be secured especially if children are present.
- Tell children never to touch a firearm unless supervised by a qualified adult.
- Limit your child’s exposure to video games, movies, or TV that contain gun violence.
- Teach non-violent conflict resolution methods.
- Familiarize yourself with any firearm you own. Practice safe shooting methods at an approved firing range and ask the range officer any questions you may have about gun safety.
- Familiarize yourself with local, state, and federal firearms laws. This is your responsibility as a gun owner. Ignorance is not a defense.
- Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to kill.
Contact the police department with any questions you may have about gun ownership, safety or legal requirements. We will assist you in any way possible to ensure your safety and that of others.